Saturday, June 16, 2012

Linux

Now I have spent more than one month at my training place. So, I think this is the high time to share my training experience with you all.
I was assigned to a project which is connected to Linux Device Driver development. Though, I had some experience in working with the Linux environment, this was a totally new area for me. My main task during first few weeks is to learn about this area.
First and foremost, I thought it’s good to share some information about Linux.


Linux was originally developed as a free operating system. Now it has a vast area of applications. It is a leading operating system on servers, mainframe computers and super computers. Linux also runs on embedded systems. This is the area that I have to touch during my training period. Debian, Ubuntu which is one of Debian’s derivatives, Fedora, openSuSE, Solaris are some of Linux based operating systems.

One of the main advantages of free operating systems as Linux, is that their internals are open and for all. So, device drivers take on a special role in the Linux kernel. Device drivers hide the complexities of hardware and give the user the comfort of working with the device in a friendly manner.


No comments:

Post a Comment